Sunday, January 31, 2010

OANDA.com & Handy Cheat Sheets


I never leave on a trip without printing out Oanda's FX cheat sheets. It makes shopping in foreign lands like Thailand, India and Indonesia so much easier, because the local currencies are usually such big numbers hehe...

When you get to the Oanda.com's Travel Exchange Rates, simply select your destination and home currencies, and click the "Get my FXCheatSheet" button. You will see this perfectly formatted little table which fits in your wallet nicely:



If the rates differ from your money changer's (as is often the case) what you can do is to go back to the previous page (pic above) and manipulate the "margin %" until you get the rate closest to your actual FX rate.

If you click on the "Reverse CheatSheet", you get another table converting the currencies the other way round. This makes comparison shopping (home vs destination) a breeze!

I like to stick these to the cover of my little notebook which I always carry overseas; this notebok contains all my vital information like flight numbers, hotel names and contact details. I also record my purchases to keep track of my spending :P Sometimes I also place these cheat sheets in a clear card case and carry it in my pocket; this way whenever I shop I need not whip out my notebook or wallet each time I get quoted a price right? You see whichever method works best for you and I hope this has been another useful travel tip from Sie the World! Bon voyage and happy shopping! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment